Combined Resume Format
Is the Combined Format Right for You?
The combined resume format is the most flexible of all formats, combining portions of the chronological and the functional layouts to produce a custom design.
You can mix and match parts of either form to highlight your skills, accomplishments and experience. Presenting yourself as a unique and creative individual is sure to set you apart from the competition and get the employers attention.
This format also works well to emphasize transferable skills when entering a new field.
For example, if you wanted to apply for a sales job with little sales experience. You can lead off with a functional style list of customer service skills to demonstrate good people skills and then follow with a chronological listing of employers.
Creativity and customization make this layout the hardest to write. The extra time and effort is well worth it if you are really intent on targeting a specific position. Customization does have its drawbacks, requiring some rewriting for each new position.
When to use a Combined Resume:
- If you want to put in the extra effort for the position
- If you are transferring your skills to a new field or industry
- It allows the greatest flexibility in highlighting your skills
- It has creative license to establish individuality
- It is highly targeted to a specific job posting
- Gets you noticed and stands out in the crowd
- Hardest to write
- Most Time Consuming
- Requires rewriting for each job posting
Combined Resume Format to Writing a Great Job Objective